BIOREMEDIATION USING OSE II
CMTA is the licence holder of an enzymatic bioremediation product called Oil Spill Eater II (OSE II).
Enzymatic bioremediation is a form of clean up, in which enhanced indigenous microorganisms chemically alter and breakdown organic molecules into other substances, carbon dioxide (CO2) and water, in order to obtain energy and nutrients.
Enhanced bioremediation, by enzyme additive significantly accelerates the natural biodegradation processes by applying specially chosen enzymes and nutrients to the spilled substance or contaminant.
Reasons OSE II is the better alternative to traditional methods for cleaning soil, water and treating waste:
OSE II for clean ups and waste treatment
- Permanent removal of the contaminants from the environment without creating secondary clean up problems.
- It is able to be used in sensitive environments as it is non-hazardous.
- Minimal or no effect on the ecology and it does not introduce foreign species or bacteria to the site.
- OSE II returns the environment to pre-spill conditions. There is potential to reclaim land.
- For a fresh spill, OSE II eliminates hazard of fire and explosion during first response. OSE II converts hydrocarbons to a non-flammable product within three minutes.
Innovation, efficiency and environmental friendliness are at the core of the process we will use to clean-up spills, contaminated soil and treat waste.
OSE II remediates hydrocarbon contaminated soil, water and waste at the sources without the need to separate or segregate. The toxins and contaminants are removed from the environment, not transferred.
As OSE II is non-hazardous and can be applied in a variety of ways OSE II can be effectively used on:
- Soil (surface and subsurface), sand, rocks
- On surface and sub surface of open/moving water (fresh, salt and brackish)
- On the ocean floor
- Marshes / estuaries
- On solid man-made surfaces
CMTA develop the methodology, project timeline, project management documentation (environmental, OHS and quality), determine equipment and resource requirements, and manage the clean up including monitoring bioremediation and the results achieved.
Our Methodologies are developed with a focus on human safety, achieving quality results and maximising the efficiency of bioremediation including:
OSE II for emergency response
- Customised equipment not requiring humans to drive and operate, removing a majority of human factor risks.
- Using automated equipment. There is no need for human interaction keeping people out of the area where heavy equipment is in operation.
- Real time monitoring and data collection to track progress.
In the event of an accident or emergency, significant and uncontrolled volumes of hydrocarbon can enter the environment causing pollution and fire / explosion hazards. Each 205L drum of OSE II will clean up over 10,000L (65 barrels) of oil and remediate it to CO2 and water.
In a spill or emergency, OSE II can be used as the ‘first response’. OSE II:
- Diminishes the toxicity of the spill rapidly.
- Renders odour almost non-existent.
- Prevents the oil or spill from adhering to anything.
- The spill is caused to float and is prevented from sinking.
- Prevents the need to apply copious volumes of water or fire suppressant, as it eliminates the fire hazard and can treat the spill at the source.
In Australia, there is a National Plan to Combat the Pollution of the Sea by Oil and Other Noxious and Hazardous Substances. Only those Oil Spill Control Agents (OSCA) listed on the National Plan Register of Oil Spill Control Agents (‘OSCA Register’) will be employed to combat oil pollution incidents. OSE II has been reviewed and is listed on the OSCA Register. View AMSA Website